Moisture vs. Protein
Moisture = Softness
Moisture comes from water. Moisturising ingredients work by bringing additional water to your hair and keeping it there.
Protein = Strength & Stiffness
Hair is made up of protein. Protein gives your hair strength and shine and reduces breakage.
WHEN DO YOU NEED MOISTURE?
- Hair feels dry, rough, breaks easily and tangles
- Low porosity hair already has high levels of protein so needs more moisture
WHEN DO YOU NEED PROTEIN?
- Hair feels mushy, sticky, and stretches
- Damaged hair needs protein to fill in gaps in the cuticles and retain moisture.
- High porosity hair needs protein to help curl formation
A BALANCING ACT
Moisture (softness) vs. Protein (strength)
You need both, and you need to look for signs in your hair to understand what it needs more of.